March 13, 2024

PGA Tour chief Jay Monahan reveals Anthony Kim blow before surprise LIV Golf move | Golf | Sport


PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan has revealed that the circuit chatted with Anthony Kim before he chose LIV Golf. Monahan said that Kim, who was one of the most exciting prospects in the sport before his last tour event in 2012, could have tried to get back on the PGA Tour.

Kim will now play as a wildcard pick in LIV competitions this year after his surprise announcement, however things could have panned out very differently if the PGA Tour got their way.

Monahan shared: “I did not have direct conversations with Anthony. Members of our team did and they very clearly laid out what it would take for him to earn his way back to the PGA Tour. I would have liked to see him compete to make his way back to the Tour. But obviously he made a different decision.”

While talking to the press before the Players Championship, Monahan also mentioned talks are moving forward with Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund, but didn’t give away much about what’s going to happen at the top level of golf. 

The tournament at Sawgrass this week will be without Jon Rahm, the Masters champion, and Brooks Koepka, who won the US PGA Championship last year. Despite this, Monahan remained positive about the state of the PGA Tour.

“You’ve got 144 players competing in this championship and they’re the greatest players in the world,” Monahan said. “This is the greatest tour in the world.

“Strength comes from a number of different factors. It comes from the strength of your membership. You have Nick Dunlap and Matthieu Pavon and Jake Knapp, we consistently as an organisation regenerate talent and create stars.”

When quizzed on if he had been asked to resign by any board member during a turbulent past nine months, Monahan did not give a direct answer. And pressed on whether he felt he had the full backing of the membership, the commissioner added: “That’s a question that you’ll have to ask the players.”



NEWS CREDIT

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

COVID-19

Golf courses in England are opening on 29th March 2021

From 29 March, golfers will have the choice of playing in groups of up to four players.